Product safety in rented accommodation for tenants

When choosing rented, furnished, accommodation, check the furnishings and appliances carefully. Make sure that they comply with the laws that are in place to protect you from defective items that can cause injury or death. Often letting agents as well as landlords are liable if goods supplied with the tenancy are not of the standard required by law.

Upholstered furniture generally must have covers that resist ignition from a match flame test, upholstery that resists ignition from a smouldering cigarette test, appropriate filling materials, and the required labelling.

Electrical goods and gas appliances must be safe with appropriate instructions where necessary. All goods supplied must be safe - these may include oil heaters, gas catalytic heaters, glazing, lawnmowers, ironing boards, chairs, and step ladders.

In the guide
Upholstered furniture
Electrical appliances
Gas appliances
Space and ventilation
Paraffin heaters
Other products


Enter your postcode in the field below to see if your local trading standards service has the full version of this leaflet on its website.